Social Justice Education
Our Social Justice Education complements the direct action of our Christian Service Learning course. As part of the Dominican pillar of preaching, we expose our students to social justice causes and grow their awareness of the dignity and needs of others.
Combine Direct Service with Social Action
While direct service to those in need helps them through a present crisis, social action addresses the underlying cause behind that suffering. The Office for Campus Ministry combines these approaches to best attend to the needs of both the individual and society.
Resources for Social Justice
For those interested in learning more about social justice, we have collected some short readings here:
- Marching Toward Christian Social Justice
- Social Change Wheel: Models of Community Involvement
- The Church Teaches: Basic Themes of Catholic Social Teaching
Stewardship for Justice Campaign
Every month our students participate in direct service to our broader community through fundraising for a chosen cause. Causes are announced during the liturgy, and then students by homeroom donate money to assist in the cause.
Our initial Stewardship for Justice Campaign cause is announced at our first liturgy.
Campaigns for the 2017-2018 School Year
- Houston Pet Alive
- Retired Dominican Sisters of Houston
- Galveston-Houston Catholic Inner City Schools
- Special Collection for our Sister School Collegio San Antonio in Puerto Rico