Fulfill your vocation as an SPX Panther
St. Pius X High School is a four-year, co-ed, Catholic college prep school in northwest Houston. Our School has educated its students for 60 years within the four pillars of the Dominican charism: Prayer, Study, Community, Preaching.
We seek qualified faculty, staff and administrators dedicated to the overall mission of the School. Thank you for your interest.
Learn more about this position and SPX.
St. Pius X High School
The Head of School motivates and inspires the vision and implementation of the mission, goals and philosophy of St. Pius X High School. The Head of School has final responsibility for religious and educational programs, fiscal responsibility and institutional advancement through general oversight and strategic planning in order to assure the strength of the School and to fulfill its mission. In carrying out this role the Head of School works in collaboration with the Board of Directors and the other members of the Administrative Team to provide leadership and coordination in order to ensure effective administration of the school. The Head of School is directly responsible to the St. Pius X High School Board of Directors (“School Board”) and the Dominican Sisters of Houston Board of Trustees.
Faith, Community and Dominican Charism
- Embraces the Dominican charism
- Ensures that the four pillars of a Dominican education (prayer, study, community, preaching) are developed and promoted among the school community
- Develops an active faith community and models Christian values
- Incorporates prayer and spiritual formation within the student, faculty/staff and parent communities
- Upholds and implements the Dominican Sisters of Houston congregational goals Ensures the implementation of comprehensive spiritual, theological and service programs for students
Leadership and Management
- Ensures the effective overall operation of the school
- Implements the school’s mission, goals and philosophy in concert with the Leadership Team
- Oversees the hiring process and approves the selection of personnel
- Provides guidance and direction to the Leadership Team and is responsible for their evaluation
- Oversees with the Leadership Team and a system of supervision and evaluation of all employees
- Provides leadership in developing and implementing the strategic plan Oversees with the Leadership Team various required annual reporting procedures (accreditation, audit, compliance, etc.)
- Holds regular Leadership Team meetings and attends other Archdiocesan, Dominican, educational and committee meetings as needed
- Works with the office of Advancement in concert with the Director of Advancement to ensure an effective advancement program
- Cultivates current and prospective benefactors
- Participates in capital campaign execution as a member of the campaign leadership team
- Participates in special fundraising events and donor recognition activities
- Finds opportunities to connect and network with parents, students, alumni, parents of alumni, etc.
Public Relations and Marketing
- Acts as spokesperson for the School
- Represents St. Pius X High School at civic, religious and other public events to provide a positive image of the school’s programs and projects
- Joins and participates in key Archdiocesan, Dominican and community organizations
- Finds opportunities to promote the mission and programs of St. Pius X High school to various publics
- Fosters relationships between the school and its constituencies
- Supports parent, student and alumni groups and attends meetings and events as needed
- Ensures with appropriate staff that any information provided to the public (collateral materials, press releases, newsletter, website, etc.) is accurate, uniform and consistent with the mission and values of St. Pius X High School
- Works with the Director of Finance/Chief Financial Officer and Finance Committee to ensure budget preparation, implementation and fiscal stability of the school
- Works with the Chief Financial Officer and Financial Aid Committee to oversee and implement the Financial Aid/Tuition Assistance program
- Approves all personnel contracts
- Approves, delegates and/or signs all major contracts of the school
- Works with the Chief Financial Officer and the Benefits Committee to periodically review and improve the employee benefit program
Board of directors ("school board")
- Provides vision, leadership and maintains open communication with the Board of Directors
- Is an “ex officio” member of the Board, functions as executive secretary, maintains Board files and is a member of all Board Committees
- Is responsible for recommending and implementing Board policies
- Works with Head of School Support and Evaluation Committee to determine Head of School’s goals for the year
- Plans with Dominican Sisters Leadership Team to provide a yearly in-service for the new members of the Board of Directors and a bi-annual in-service for the Board of Directors
- In conjunction with the Chair of the Board of Directors, prepares the meeting agenda and submits a written administrative report
- Participates with the Board of Directors and other constituencies in the development and implementation of the strategic plan
- Keeps the Board informed on the state of the school, periodically coordinates departmental reports to the Board and offers recommendations for future growth and development
Foundation board of trustees
- Provides vision, leadership and maintains open communication with the Foundation Board of Trustees
- Prepares agenda with Foundation President, attends meetings and presents a written administrative report
- Is an “ex officio” member of the Foundation and functions as executive secretary and maintains permanent Foundation files
- Promotes Foundation purposes/activities
Qualities and Qualifications
St. Pius X High School seeks an experienced leader with vision and skills in the fundamental responsibilities of leadership, communication and collaborative decision-making to advance the mission of St. Pius X High School.
The Head of School should be a practicing Catholic whose life models the mission of the Church and of St. Pius X High School, and who is willing to embrace the Dominican charism. The Head of School is an inspirational leader who motivates and inspires the vision and implementation of the mission, goals and philosophy of St. Pius X High School. The Head of School has final responsibility for religious and educational programs, fiscal responsibility and institutional advancement through general oversight and strategic planning. The Head of School should have the ability and willingness to relate to a diverse ethnic, religious and socio-economic student population.
Ideally candidates should have a background in high school administration, preferably as a Principal, President or Head of School.
Candidates with equivalent or other appropriate leadership experience may also be considered.
An advanced degree is required.
Application Directions for Candidates
Candidates should submit all information as soon as possible. Electronic submission of materials is required. Please send materials as separate pdf attachments in one email by December 18, 2020 to: SPXSearchCommittee@stpiusx.org.
- Candidates should submit the following documents:
- Cover letter expressing interest and qualifications for the Head of School at St. Pius X High School;
- Current resume/CV that includes all dates for degrees, certifications and experience;
- Personal statement that includes the candidate’s educational philosophy, plans and vision on leading St. Pius X High School;
The Dean of Academics serves as an instructional leader at the school. The Dean of Academics supports the mission of the school by embracing the Dominican charism, ensuring a strong academic program and providing guidance and attention to faculty and students. The Dean of Academics reports directly to the Principal.
Administration and Faculty
- Serves on the principal’s leadership team and faculty/staff advisory committee
- Develops a schedule of observing classes
- Collaborates with leadership team and other appropriate personnel on faculty in-service
- Coordinates a new teacher orientation and in-service program
- Appoints, trains, and evaluates department chairs in consultation with the principal
- Plans and coordinates department chair meetings
- Plans regular meetings with counseling department, Dean of Student Life, principal, and Records Specialist
- Organizes grade level meetings for faculty and counselors
- Oversees the grading process in consultation with the Records Specialist
- Leads teacher/parent/guardian meetings with counselors to discuss needs of students
- Approves student schedule changes in conjunction with counseling staff
- Directs the student course evaluation process
- In conjunction with the Records Specialist, creates schedule for semester exams
- Directs the placement of students in consultation with faculty and counselors
- Directs the registration and re-registration of students in consultation with the Principal, Counselors, Records Specialist and Chief Financial Officer
- Oversees the AP program
- Plans and facilitates Parent/ Teacher Conference events
- Tracks ineligibility and academic probation; coordinates and communicates with Fine Arts Director, Athletic Director, Dean of Student Life, counselors, advisors, students, and parents regarding issues of ineligibility and academic probation
- Coordinates professional development opportunities in consultation with Department Chairs and the Principal
- Directs the building of the master schedule in consultation with the Principal and Records Specialist
- Oversees self-study preparation and reporting to accrediting agencies (TCCED, SACS, DASS)
- Consults with the Director of Enrollment Management on the admission of students and reviews student applications as needed
- Evaluates and develops the overall curriculum of the school, in consultation with the Principal
- Provides guidance to the faculty in areas of instruction, assessment, and homework
- Analyzes and interprets academic data for the purpose of improving student and faculty performance
- Reviews and approves with the Principal any curriculum changes initiated by department chairs, including textbooks
- Organizes and directs the curriculum workshop
- Maintains curriculum summary of all courses
- Publishes an annual SPX Course Catalog
- Evaluates yearly standardized test results and uses them for curriculum planning and review in coordination with the Principal
- Responds to parent input, questions or concerns regarding the curriculum and/or faculty and advises principal of major concerns
- Facilitates the integration of technology into the curriculum in conjunction with the technology staff
- Communicates necessary website updates (as needed) in the area of academics to the Director of Communications
- Directs the Underclass Awards Ceremony
- Attends and/or participates in major St. Pius X events, including Open House, Gala, Veritas Ring Ceremony, Awards Ceremonies, NHS Induction, Graduation, etc.
- Attends at least one student retreat each year
- Participates in liturgies
- Assists with the faculty/staff retreat and other faith formation activities
- Attends conferences and/or workshop (as needed) in order to keep abreast of latest education trends and research
- Maintains membership in appropriate professional organizations
- Updates Bring you own Device Policy annually
- Coordinates 9th grade and underclass Academic Probation program
- Updates the Faculty & Staff Handbook
- Teaches one class or assists with lunch duty as needed or appropriate
- Performs other duties as requested by the Principal or Head of School
- Commitment to embracing the mission of St. Pius X High School
- Completed Safe Haven training
- Master’s degree (related field) required
- Administrative and curriculum experience in a high school preferred
- Teaching experience in a high school preferred
- Passion for a Catholic education
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required
- Strong work ethic with the ability to manage multiple, and occasionally simultaneous deadlines and projects
- Excellent judgement, confidentiality, discretion, and diplomacy
Application Directions for Candidates
Candidates should submit a cover letter expressing interest and qualifications and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A St. Pius X High School substitute teacher is responsible for partnering with the classroom teacher to facilitate and ensure continual student learning, instruction, and safety.
Substitute teachers are generally used for the following areas: English, math, history and social sciences, world languages, physical education, theology, fine arts, communication, and library resources.
- Provides classroom instruction to students with fidelity as outlined in lesson plans.
- Creates a classroom that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
- Maintains a safe and orderly environment.
- Maintains established routine of the school and classroom procedures in which assigned.
- Maintains a professional appearance as an example to students.
- Remains at school the entire school day, unless otherwise instructed to leave by the principal.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains reasonable code of conduct which encourage self-discipline and responsibility.
- Communicates effectively with faculty, staff, and administrators when needed.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and times designated.
- Utilizes available technology to enhance lesson as needed.
- Documents student progress, activities, and outcomes for classroom teacher.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Must have a minimum of 60 college credit hours
- Strong communication skills
- Previous experience a plus
- Teaching experience is not required, though preferred
- Willingness to learn and understand the mission of St. Pius X High School
- Complete Virtus training is required (can obtain prior to hire)
- Background check is required
TO APPLY: Submit resume and reference list to email@example.com
Qualifying applicants will receive an invitation to attend a required substitute orientation.
For questions concerning this position, please contact Cindy Flores, assistant to the principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-579-7506.
School Bus Driver is responsible for operating a school bus to transport students proficiently over specified routes to and from school and various activities. Reporting to the Transportation Coordinator, the School Bus Driver conducts pre-trip inspections; observes safety regulations and policies; enforces student discipline on the bus; and performs related work.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Conduct pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections to ensure safe operation
· Transport students to and from school each day on established routes in a safe and timely manner; students safety is of the utmost importance in route and drop off at their final destination
· Drive additional extracurricular routes that includes sporting events, practices, field trips, service, etc.
· Clean bus as necessary to maintain professional appearance and sanitation of vehicle
· Additional charter work on an as needed basis
· Report all accidents, vehicle damage, students injuries and mechanical problems in a timely manner
· Exerts a positive influence and work in harmony with associates
· Respond to suggestions for improvement in a positive manner
· Display professionalism in working with students, parents, staff and community
· Maintain professional appearance
· Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Transportation Coordinator
· Education requirements include a high school diploma or G.E.D.
· Must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) with “P” & “S” endorsements and school bus safety course
· Must have an excellent driving record
· Must pass a criminal history check along with a DOT physical examination and drug screen
· Must complete the Archdiocesan Virtus training program
· Ability to operate a school bus
· Ability to read and understand documents including policies and procedure manuals
· Must be physically able to perform and demonstrate emergency evacuation procedures (including pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds) and the ability to use emergency exits at any location on the bus
· Must possess the ability to maintain student discipline and ensure that student behavior is not a distraction to safe driving
· Must possess basic first aid and CPR certification or acquire such within a timely manner
·Must possess good communication skills and the ability to relate well with students and adults
Resumes will expire within 90 days. Submission of a resume is not considered to be an application for employment.
St. Pius X High School maintains a policy of nondiscrimination with all employees and applicants for employment. All aspects of employment with St. Pius X are governed on the basis of competence and qualifications and are not influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, sex, age or national origin.